Saturday, April 11, 2009

Certificate Services Client task fails

We’ve been seeing this error on our SBS 2008 servers regularly:

TaskScheduler    101    MM/DD/YYYY HH:MM:SS PM    1
Event Details:   
Task Scheduler failed to start
"\Microsoft\Windows\CertificateServicesClient\UserTask" task for user
"Domain\Admin". Additional Data: Error Value: 2147942402.

TaskScheduler    311    MM/DD/YYYY HH:MM:SS PM    1
Event Details:   
Task Scheduler failed to start Task Engine "" process due to an error occurring in "LUAIsElevatedToken" . Command="taskeng.exe" . Additional Data: Error Value: 2147942402.

We did some research and didn’t find anything conclusive, so we asked MS PSS about it and there’s a hotfix for it. PSS states that the issue can occur if the "Stop if the computer ceases to be idle option" is not saved for the task.

However, PSS recommends holding off on the hotfix unless the error is causing problems. They say the error can be safely ignored and will be corrected once the hotfix is officially released.

4 comments:

Kevin Royalty [SBS MVP] said...

so does this mean the task is running just fine with an erroneous error, or is it not running at all?

Health4Wealth-NorthWest said...

I have the same set of errors on atleast one SBS 2008 Server, yet my 311 error is on the \SystemTask rather than the \UserTask. If anyone knows a resolutions to this problem, could you please let us know?
Thanks!

Reagan said...

Hi Al -

We recently came across this exact error on a Windows 2008 server, and found a different solution.

The issue was narrowed down to an authentication problem due to the checkbox "Do not store user password."

Un-checking that box and forcing a password save on the job worked for us.

I hope that helps some of your other readers.

Take care,

Reagan Williams
Trendworks, Inc.
http://www.trendworksgroup.com

Mark said...

The hotfix (950363) is part of Server 2008 SP2. I installed SBS 2008 SP2 only a few weeks ago and still get these errors.

Re. Reagan's suggestion, the CertificateServicesClient UserTask already has "Do not store password" unchecked. The task runs as user INTERACTIVE. I tried changing it to the same value, which populated as NT AUTHORITY\INTERACTIVE, but couldn't save it due to this error: "The task XML contains a value which is incorrectly formatted or out of range."