Saturday, January 30, 2010

BlackBerry Desktop/Roxio Media Manager Installer Issue

We’ve seen this numerous times – after installing BlackBerry Desktop, the Roxio Media Manager insists on initializing Windows Installer long after it’s been successfully installed. It’s a simple fix; download the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility and blast away the Roxio Media Manager. It’s not needed to get music on your BlackBerry.

Saturday, January 23, 2010

Outlook Toolbar Disappears

One of the users we support discovered he could no longer apply bold, underline or other formatting options to a new HTML formatted email message. After researching the issue, we determined the problem is resolved by renaming the outcmd.dat file, which is located in D&S\appdata\microsoft\outlook. The file is recreated when Outlook is restarted.

Saturday, January 16, 2010

PeachTree 2010 and 64-bit environments

I’m always amazed when critical information is not passed on for something as important as an accounting software upgrade. This week, we upgraded PeachTree on a SBS 2008 box after carefully reviewing the upgrade requirements and comments provided by Sage.

The server install almost went without a hitch when we saw an app error from a printer driver component, which was unrelated. We noted it and the upgrade continued. It completed, notifying us it was successful.

However it was not. We discovered this the hard way when the first workstation we updated coughed and wheezed at the thought of the new code.

After a 55-minute wait on Sage/PeachTree’s tech support line (and yes, the client has a contract for a lower wait times), our front line tech informed us that this was not a PeachTree issue. It had to be handled by a local PeachTree consultant.

We vigorously disagreed and after another 10-minute wait, we received a callback from a level two tech. We were in for some more surprises.

Interestingly enough, he informed us PeachTree 2010 and its database component cannot muster up enough smarts to store its data outside of the system volume in a 64-bit environment. This, of course, is absurd and not documented anywhere and not communicated during the installation process.

After ripping out registry keys on both machines, pulling references out of the Windows Installer, moving the data to the system volume and raising the local user rights to Admin levels (all undocumented tasks), the upgrade on these two machines was done after four hours. We then completed the install on the remaining workstations without problems.

C’mon, 64-bit environments have been around for quite awhile – especially in servers. The initial attempt by tech support to hand this off to a third party was deplorable. The methods to deploy this are far from what’s considered in the industry as best practices. But more importantly, the lack of communication to the client and lack of appropriate testing before release is highly unprofessional. This resulted in a significant disruption to the client’s business that could have been avoided.

Saturday, January 9, 2010

Time to Start Working on Exchange 2007 SP2 in SBS 2008

Exchange 2007 SP2 has been a tough update for SBS 2008 installations. MS posted a lengthy KB discussing the issues presented by the service pack. Since some of the issues were due to MS’ Forefront antivirus products, MS published a tool to help install the SP without going through the numerous steps documented in the KB.

Get the tool here.

Saturday, January 2, 2010

Missing Toshiba notebook drivers

We came across a nasty trojan that rewrote the permissions on multiple registry keys. In order to be safe and secure, we performed a complete reinstall of the operating system. However, some of the drivers were not on the US Toshiba site which is odd since the machine is barely four years old.

Thankfully, we found the appropriate drivers at Toshiba’s European support site and the notebook is healthy once again.