Here’s another misleading message:
Winnt_root\System32\Hal.dll missing or corrupt:
Please re-install a copy of the above file.
In many instances, reinstalling the file through the Recovery Console doesn’t work. If that’s the case, try rewriting the boot.ini file as follows:
- Access the Recovery Console command prompt
- type bootcfg /rebuild (ENTER)
- You should see the following message:
- Add installation to boot list? (Yes/No/All)
- Enter Load Identifier:
This is the OS name. Enter Windows XP Professional or whatever flavor you’re working with,
- Enter OS Load options:
Enter /Fastdetect and press Enter.
- type exit, press enter, remove the CD and Windows should boot properly.