One of my colleagues came across this issue at a client site and we found the solution in Microsoft’s forums. Specifically, Outlook's preview pane displays the following message when attempting the view a Microsoft Office file:
“This file cannot be previewed because there is no previewer installed for it.”
This is a new PC with new Windows 7 and Office 2010 installations. He tried removing and reinstalling Office without any success. He also tried creating a new Outlook profile with no luck.
The solution, found here, is as follows:
Click on Start, Run, enter dcomcnfg and click OK.
This starts the Component Services applet.
- Expand Component Services.
- Expand Computers.
- Right click on My Computer and go to Properties
- Click on Default Properties tab.
- Ensure the following options are set:
- Default Authentication Level: Connect (not "None").
- Default Impersonation Level: Identify
This resets the DCOM permissions so the preview pane will work properly.